Your Invisalign Treatment
Things you should know about your invisalign treatment:
1. Invisalign is a lab, not a doctor. Dr. Sacks himself develops YOUR SPECIFIC treatment plan based on his examination of you, your special orthodontic x-rays, the digital scans of your teeth, your clinical photographs and your discussions with him. Invisalign simply fabricates the trays that Dr. Sacks himself has designed for you.
2. As long as your aligners fit properly as you progress from one aligner to the next, you are on track! Pain/discomfort does not equate to success. You don’t necessarily have to “feel something” to mean it is working. Some trays have more movement built in to them than others, so you may “feel” more with some trays and less with others. Again, if they fit, you are progressing toward the desired goal and you need not worry.
3. If you notice that your aligners don’t appear to be fitting properly or if the teeth are not “tracking” i.e. you see a gap between the tray and your tooth/teeth, call us right away to get rescanned. Do not proceed to the next aligner.
4. Dr. Sacks himself reviews EVERY SINGLE SCAN and personally designs EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOUR ALIGNERS. Even if you don’t see him at every scan or check appointment. He is ALWAYS very closely monitoring and working on your case. Due to the digital platform used, you often won’t “see” all of the work Dr. Sacks is doing for you. Dr. Sacks’ Registered Dental Assistants are all educated, qualified and skilled to see you at your routine scan/check appointments. If there is an aligner fitting issue, you will be rescanned. Dr. Sacks REVIEWS EVERY SINGLE SCAN and will make any necessary changes and order you new aligners. Assistants can and will deliver your trays, check in with you, add attachments and answer basic questions for you. Inter-proximal reduction, scan review and aligner design are all done ONLY by Dr. Sacks. During ANY of your visits if you have a question for Dr. Sacks, please ask one of the assistants to get him and he will gladly come over to see you!
5. You must continue to wear your last set of trays until your new ones arrive (usually 2-3 weeks). If you don’t wear your last aligner, your teeth will revert back to “crooked” and your treatment time will be extended.
6. When done properly, INVISALIGN WORKS. As a patient of Dr. Sacks’, Invisalign would not have been presented to you as an option if he didn’t know for certain he could make it work well for your situation. If it “isn’t working” or the “trays aren’t fitting” or the “teeth aren’t tracking” or its “taking longer than I was told,” 99% of the time it is because the aligners are not being worn enough! 22 hours a day is what is required for optimal outcomes in the shortest period of time. If Dr. Sacks prescribed elastics for you, these too must be worn 22 hours a day unless otherwise specified by Dr. Sacks.
7. While certainly not mandatory, consider adding Propel to your Invisalign treatment. For a nominal incremental increase in your monthly payment and 5 minutes a day, it will help keep your treatment on track, possibly get you done quicker and help alleviate any discomfort you might experience.
8. Invisalign is pretty incredible. In the right hands, the outcomes are awesome, treatment times are often shorter than with traditional braces, its quite comfortable inconspicuous and facilitates easier dental hygiene.
9. Invisalign is pretty incredible. In the right hands, the outcomes are awesome, treatment times are often shorter than with traditional braces, its quite comfortable inconspicuous and facilitates easier dental hygiene.
10. Dr. Sacks is a perfectionist and while perfection doesnt exist, he will keep ordering you aligners and refining your teeth until he feels no further improvements can realistically be made. However, they are YOUR teeth and if at any point you wish to stop treatment because you yourself are pleased with the results, please just let Dr. Sacks know. If clinically appropriate, Dr. Sacks will “complete” your treatment.